It has been since I last bought yarn!

Thursday, May 10, 2007

Dyelots Be Damned!

I think you know where I'm going with the title of this post.

This week was kind of a stressful week for me- there seems to be a million social events to attend with the husband's pending graduation as well as I had to plan a baby shower... on top of all that I needed to knit 13 inches in the very mysterious "Nennie Sweater", (Phyllis... I swear there are pictures coming...) to continue getting the most out of my Knitting for Pleasure class.

As you can well imagine, time for knitting was scarce this week and last night I finally was able to come home and work on my knitting homework.... on the remaining 8 inches I had yet to conquer. It's the back of a sweater... and there are 120 stitches... progress is slowish. I managed to eek in a few hours last night- and did up 4 inches... which is a miracle in itself. The plan for today was to wake up early and finish the rest.

EXCEPT....

1) Husband did not set the alarm clock for my 8:00 wake up call... and instead I pulled my lazy butt out of bed at 10:30.

2) I finally got around to knitting up and had to join in a new ball.... only to discover the dyelots are different, and while it's fairly subtle... I can still see the difference. There's a line-- and you can tell a new color was added. *Begins SOBBING*

I had to knit 66 stitches... I joined the color at 35- I was at 43 when I discovered the problem. I now how to rip back and a) either find a skein that's closer in colors or b) rip back even further and alternative knitting with the two slightly different colors so anal retentive knitters like myself will not lose their grip on sanity upon viewing the back of my sweater.

And please no one remind me about checking dyelot numbers on the skein... because I'm usually VERY, VERY, VERY, VERY, dilligent about that- however these skeins did not have labels... at all. NO LABELS to be found-- and to the untrained eye, they all looked in the same color family.

So- afterall the knitting cram sessions I had, and all the stressing I've been doing about getting my 13 inches in... I'm going to class tonight with an incomplete assignment. I'm hoping that I can still make progress anyways... but MAN- is it ever disheartening to discover that problem.

No comments: