It has been since I last bought yarn!

Monday, October 17, 2011

Finishing Up

Firstly, you'll be happy to know that MiL is staging an intervention on the blocking process. Maybe it's because she wants her blocking board back (:-)) but we've planned a day this week to stay in and knit, watch Pride and Prejudice and she's going to help me block those blankets. I think I speak for everyone when I say "THANK YOU PHYLLIS".

From my obvious break again, you can probably tell I've been quite busy. Baby is due in just 23 days (I will now write the rest of this blog hyperventilating into a paper bag) and we've really amped up the "get ready" process- which has left me with drastically little knitting time. When there's such little knitting time, one can only make progress on little things.

Little thing #1: Final December Hat

IMG_0791
I thought it would be best to get my knitting obligations out of the way before baby, so here we have the final hat in the "One Hat A Month" pact I made with my knitting group. I had a lot of purple yarn to use up this year, so these 12 little hats did a good job at stashing down.

IMG_0798

Little Things #2: Hat and Socks for my Kid to Come Home In

IMG_0785

In the strangest turn of events ever... up until last week I had not knit anything for my impending arrival. I know... it's silly... I've knit for a million and one babies but not my own. I've received some unbearably adorable things, but I did want Jr. to come home in something his mama made him and this seemed like the right choice.

IMG_0781

Hat Details
Pattern: Easy Peasy Newborn Sock Hat by Keri McKiernan
Yarn: Sublime Baby Cashmere Merino Silk 4 Ply in "cream" (or dyelot 0005)
Needles: US 2
Notes: I wanted just a simple roll brim on this hat with a short little "umbilical chord" at the top. I'm a little worried that the hat is going to be too wide for Jr. right after he's born, but I guess we'll see.

IMG_0769

Sock Details
Pattern: Garter Stripe Baby Socks by Jennifer Hoel
Yarn: Sublime Baby Cashmere Merino Silk 4 Ply in cream (0005- see above for link)
Needles: US 0
Notes: It is impossible for these to be cuter. IMPOSSIBLE. I can't wait to put his little cashmere sockies on his little feet!!

Bigger Thing... and Possibly a Reason to Stage Yet Another Intervention....

I also bought yarn and swatched for Jr'.s blanket.

IMG_0760

As of today, I am on maternity leave. And, aside from impatiently waiting for my nursery furniture to arrive, (*commence hyperventilating again*), I have somehow decided that with perseverance I could probably crank out, or come close to finishing a blanket for Jr. I'm sure I'm essentially I'm delusional at this point.

IMG_0792

I swatched the pattern in white so it doesn't show up very well in this photo, but I'm confident that once it's knit in a darker color and blocked, you'll see the owl very well. (Pattern is "Whoooo Loves Ya? Baby Cloth" by Elaine Fitzpatrick, the same woman who also designed the cow pattern from my much loved "Baby Beef" blanket.)

Yes, this means that other blankets and fancy sock will go in the "waiting" bin, as this project will take precedent. BUT, it's my own kid, I think I'm probably allowed to make the exception. The good news is that I might update here a little more so you can see how my "madly knitting" is progressing.

Stay tuned.... it's about to get REAL interesting over here. :-)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes, the hat does look a little big. I knit one hat like that and decided that there wasn't any way possible that something that big was going to come out of my hoo haw. So I knit a smaller hat. Here's to hoping he needs a smaller hat!
And stop hyperventilating. You will do FINE!

Anonymous said...

If you're delusional now, how bad is it going to be when the baby gets here?!

I'm joking. I'm sure it'll be ok! It'll be better than ok. It'll be super!