It has been since I last bought yarn!

Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Nennie For the Win!

IMG_7415

So. It’s done. The last end is woven in and contrary to popular belief, I did not DIE from having to weave in all those ends. In fact, I didn’t even break out in a rash… although my brain may have attempted to go on strike a few dozen times. And, despite the ends, I’m still really pleased with this blanket.

IMG_7427

Pattern: Princess Squares Blanket by Pam Allen
Yarn: Navy (Sirdar Snuggly DK 0224)
Red (Sirdar Snuggly DK 0242)
Orange (S.R. Kertzer Northern Sport 950109)
Yellow (Schachenmayr Nomatta Bravo Baby 122)
Green (Sirdar Snuggly DK 414)
Blue (Sirdar Snuggly DK 415)
Purple (unknown something I picked up at Pudding)
Needles: US 7
Listened To: Craftlit’s Persuasion by Jane Austen and The Age of Innocence by Edith Wharton
Notes: Knit 2 extra panels of this blanket to make it more the standard size I like. This yarn was fine to knit with- but it’s not my favorite acrylic in the world, I’m not sure I would use it again.
Made For: The Adorable Owen.

I was amazed how quick this project knit and the fact that not once was I bored by the endless garter stitching. I’ll say that again- I didn’t tire of knitting every stitch. I think that says something about how I needed a brain break from all the blankets I knit for Stampede!! If I do this again, I’d think harder and longer about how I could do this with less ends to weave in because…

IMG_7452

DAMN people, that was at lot of ends. (Yes, this is the remains of every end I sewed in on that blanket… it’s okay to be wowed by my awesome-ness.) It was a lot. It was more than I thought and I’m proud of myself for instituting the “must weave in the ends after each panel now” rule. If I had to weave in all the ends at the end- I wouldn’t have finished. I would have put this blanket somewhere in a box and never looked at it again. I need to move past the ends… it’s time to let it go.

And, since I’m the kind of person who always wonders when I see other photos of these kinds of projects- here’s a pic of what the blanket looks like on the other side.

IMG_7461

I was concerned it might be too bumpy, but the ridges (from picking up the stitches) don’t actually stick out that much and this blanket thankfully didn’t need a back sewn on.

One more shot of this lovely project, with it’s bright and cheerful colors and I’m ready to move on!

IMG_7447

What’s next? Well, as mentioned previously there are some summer projects that need tying up. I’m aiming for a September finish-a-thon, and hope that each week I can show you another project off the needles, clearing up the queue for October. And then, it’s smooth sailing! There are 2 more blankets I’d like to get going, but I’m less in “panic” mode for those- but starting new projects is SO exciting and I’m looking forward to a little selfish knitting in Oct.

What are you “finishing” this September?

2 comments:

Heather said...

Wow! That's so beautiful!

Anonymous said...

I love it. Owen is one lucky little guy to get this blanket!