It has been since I last bought yarn!

Monday, December 28, 2009

Having Fun Again

I'm having so much fun!

Yes. You heard me. There is no whining in this post.... just happy fun feelings about knitting this week. Stepping away from obligations gave me a chance to really throw myself into some fun projects.

Firstly, I proud to announce that the 52nd hat is off the needles and I have fulfilled my resolution to knit a hat a week this year.

IMG_6533

These six hats are the last of the bunch for the year. I haven't decided what to do about next year. I've knit 104 hats in the last two years for the hospital, and well, I'm thinking that 2010 might be the year that I cut back a little, and focus more on what I want to knit. I'll get back to you on what I decide.

I also knit a hat and mitten set for little Jack Ryan over Christmas. Unfortunately he and his parents left for their holiday before I could give it to him, but it's a cute set all the same!

IMG_6523

Pattern: My hat pattern and the Frazzled Knits "Wee Baby Mitts"
Yarns: Leftover Bernat Satin in Red and White
Needles: US size 3 for the mittens US size 8 for the hat

Christmas this year, was as lovely as ever. My husband bought me a pair of Signature Needle DPNs and I can't wait to try them out! My family decided to give me what I wanted most, and several Pudding gift cards were happily opened from under the tree.

This was, without coincidence, a well timed gift, as my MiL and I went on our third annual boxing day yarn sale EXTRAVAGANZA. (This year we were joined by Anne and Jocelyn who seemed just as enthused about the yarn sales as we were. I say, the more the merrier!) To say that Pudding was mobbed this year is an understatement. Pudding was OVER RUN with knitters looking to score deals, and thankfully they seemed ready for us.

I showed considerable restraint, especially given that I feel like my stash is a bit big-ish right now and needs some culling down. However, a call from my Grandparents on Christmas day did warrant some purchases. (Grandpa wanted to know where his socks were, apparently he wanted a pair.) I decided to pick up the yarn to make both of them pairs, since I didn't really have "their colors" in my stash.

For Grandpa, who wants 'plain' socks, I see another pair of Mr. Pitts in my future with the very manly "Regia 4-fadig Tweed" sock yarn.

IMG_6538

For Grandma who didn't ask for socks, but I decided I can't just send along one pair, I picked up some "Online Supersocke 100 - Florida" in a lovely purple color. I haven't decided what pattern I'll make exactly, but I think I'll keep it simple too.

IMG_1374

(Kudos to the husband who did a great job capturing the purples in this.) I'm hoping to send these are anniversary gifts to them for their March 17th anniversary. Keeping the pattern simple should make it easier to grind out 2 pairs. (hmmmm... perhaps this could be my Rav-Olympic challange...)

While yarn shopping is fun, it's not the fun I'm alluding to in this post. I'm back knitting the Marlene's, (to which I am perilously close to running out of yarn) and alternating with knitting the Bird in Hand mittens, which have had some troubles of it's own. (But that's a story for another time.) It's fun to work on both projects and see progress. In the background I'm listening to "Craftlit", the podcast for crafter's who like books*.

Craftlit is a GEM of a find, and it's the perfect listening while I knit. She focuses on books that are in the public domain and therefore free to make available to the public. So far I've listened to Pride and Prejudice (LOVE THAT BOOK SO MUCH) this fall, and now over my holiday I've listened to the Legend of Sleepy Hollow and currently making my way through Henry James' Turning of the Screw. Heather is a former school teacher, so each week, along with chapters of the book she talks about some history and key things to listen to, making the story come alive. I loved my English classes in high school and university and I'm having so much fun combining the two hobbies I love- reading and knitting. (As Heather says, "If your hands are too busy to pick up a book, at least you can turn one on.")

So that's been my holiday so far; podcasts and knitting- and quite frankly, I'm in heaven for it. Hopefully I'll be able to squeeze in another post before the end of the year and show you some completed items. In the mean time, I'm going to get back to having my fun. I hope your Christmas holiday has been productive and enjoyable as mine so far!

*The Podcaster Heather always says this, and it just describes the podcast so well.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

The hat and mitten set for JR is adorable...great job!!! Happy New Year and Happy Knitting in 2010!
Mom

Anonymous said...

P.S. I love the French Press Slippers! I might even be persuaded to tackle a pair for myself! Thanks for the inspiration!
Mom

Anne B. said...

The sale was a lot of fun. Excellent on the new needles from your hubby, good job on him! Also glad to hear you are having a good vay-kay. Today is a good snowy day to stay inside and knit!

Joanne said...

I am also really enjoying craftlit - I'm listening to the current book (Flatland) and was a couple of episodes in when I realised I hadd read it, but it's so fabulous to be read to and I enjoy Heather's commentary.

Anonymous said...

Jen:
You have so many CUTE and ADORABLE stuff you made on your blog. It makes me drool and motivated to knit better like you do. Can I ask if there is a pattern like this red/white baby hat? I am interested in helping the charity with baby hats.
MarDe

Anonymous said...

Jen:
I hadn't heard from you and wonder if there is a pattern for this adorable red/white baby hats? It's cute and I would love to help the charity, too.
MarDe

Jennifer said...

AhhhH! MarDe I hope you are able to at least see this comment. I have no way to respond to you even if I wanted to. When you comment anonymously there is not contact information for me to get back to you. Can you give me your Ravelry name and I'lla get back to you there? I'm really sorry- I just have no way to get in contact with you!!