It has been since I last bought yarn!

Monday, June 9, 2008

Rain Can Be Good Too!

Many good people in Calgary are currently bemoaning all the rain we've had. While I agree that I am SO. OVER typhoon season here, (or so it feels), the rain has served one very useful purpose- time to knit. It's too miserable to go outside- and thus provides the perfect opportunity for prime knitting time.

Check out what I accomplished this weekend!


Uh yah, that would be a blanket, two socks and two hats. Holy productivity Batman!

First on the finished list was the Runk Baby Blanket.

Pattern: Leisure Arts "Baby Chevron" by Kay Meadors

Needles: US size 9

Yarn: Bernat Satin in White and three Blue variations

Notes: There's no doubt about it, the pattern knits up beautifully, and the finished product is pleasing. However with each color change comes endless ends to weave in- and well, the lazy knitter in me just groans at the mere thought of it. I also ran out of white yarn earlier than expected and only knit this approximately 34" vs. the regular 40" blanket size I knit. Personally I like the smaller size, (ends the pain earlier), but kind of felt like I was cheating to be done so much shorter than normal.

Here's another close of shot for your viewing pleasure:

As if that wasn't exciting enough to get that off the needles- I also made HUGE sock progress on the New England Socks - like sock 1. This is a stunning pattern and one I'm certainly going to be proud of upon completion...

... that is if it ever does see completion. (Sorry no full frontal sock shots until #2 is done up.) As usual, I'm having my traditional "OH MY GOD I AM GOING TO RUN OUT OF YARN BEFORE I FINISH THIS SOCK" panic attack.

Does this look like enough yarn to you? EEK. I'm motivated to knit this sock as quickly as possible only so that I can see if my fears are confirmed or not. I honestly don't know what I'm going to do if I'm right about freaking out. I suppose I can hunt it down on Ravely, (what did knitters ever do before Ravelry?), but let's all collectively cross our fingers and hope it doesn't come to that. The leg is a lot longer than a typical sock I make-- and it's got me in panic mode!

There's even more finished items to view! The whisper lace sock is finally cast off for one and cast on for the other. (Personal rule- always immediately cast on sock #2, or you never will.) I'm regretting the variagated yarn selection. The pattern is quite intricate and pretty, but completely lost in all the colors of the yarn. I had anticipated it to blend a little more subtley- but I suppose you learn something each time you knit.

And lastly- as if all of this wasn't already blowing your knitting minds- I added two more baby hats to the total. (OH LORD am I behind on this!)

They're cute, they're simple- they're baby hats.

It looks like the weather is promising to be gross right through to the weekend again- at this rate I'm going to RUN OUT OF STASH YARN. (But I don't mind, it just means I get to buy more sooner- and OH DEAR LORD do I want to buy yarn badly right now.

That's it for this week- feels good to have taken a big chunk off the "to finish" list!

1 comment:

Erika said...

I like the smaller size blanket too. The same thing happened to me with the Luca cabled baby blanket. I just call it a lapghan now, my husband loves it! LOL