It has been since I last bought yarn!

Friday, June 15, 2012

Distracted Chicken

So yup- still no sweater progress as far as seams go... BUT- I have viewed a few videos online and feel like I could make another attempt at seaming.  Who knows... maybe even AFTER this blog post I might be motivated?

It's just easy to be afraid of seaming and the sweater when I'm excited about completing a few things and beginning others.  (Hence the title- distracted chicken.)

Those easy-peasy ribbed socks are off the needles!

IMG_1502

Pattern: Sock Recipe, A Good Plain Sock by Stephanie Pearl McPhee (I adapted this pattern for a ribbed calf and foot- but all instructions were essentially the same.)
Yarn: ONline Super Socke in Cotton Beach Color colorway 941.  (The last of my super self-striping deal of the very first Boxing day yarn deals!)
Needles: 2.25 mm  (Did you see what I did there?!  I used the Millimeter size, I'm growing as a person/Canadian!)
Thoughts: I love a simple sock.  I really do.  I also love self striping yarn because it does all the work for you and there's a certain joy in watching the stripes occur as they should every time.  The one thing I do, because I'm pretty anal retentive about even stripes, is that after turning the heel, I cut the yarn and join when the leg left off when I pick up the stitches on the foot.  I hate when the flow gets all messed up from the heel, so I like to stay pretty close to the pattern that was on the leg.

I'm also pretty happy that once again, the stripes line up pretty spectacularly.

IMG_1500

I also finished a teeny tiny baby hat that I started last summer with some left over Knitpicks felici.

IMG_1507

Pattern: Easy Peasy Newborn Sock Hat by Keri McKiernan
Yarn: Knitpicks Felici leftover in the Rainbow colorway
Needles: 3 mm (I DID IT AGAIN... OMG!)
Thoughts: This was a great way to use up a couple of leftovers.  I see a few sock yarn newborn hats in my future!

Spurred on by my success over completing items that needed completing, (and in the spirit of ignoring the sweater), I also cast on something I have been dying to knit.  The Kai-Mei sock by the infamous Cookie A in none other than Wollmeise.  I'm sorry, I just couldn't help myself!  (Also- an aside here but I don't want to be one of those people who horde the Wollmeise but never knit with it.  If I'm going to BUY the yarn, I better knit with it.  I have never understood why people buy BOATLOADS of Wollmeise, snapping it up from other knitters who just want one skein and then proudly display their enormous Wollmeise stash but never have an actual project they knit with it.  If you're going to BUY IT... USE IT.  <---- I will get off my soapbox now*.)

IMG_1510

And so here we are, me feeling pretty conflicted.  Knit the sock with the fun pattern and delicious yarn or slog through the scary seaming?  I think you know what's going to happen here...

* I recognize that this yarn sat in my stash for a long time before it got used... so I own up that I'm one of those people... but I'm going for personal growth and STASH DOWN here.

No comments: