It has been since I last bought yarn!

Tuesday, May 3, 2016

May Heyday

Hey!  It's May!  AND... to usher in a new month, we have NEW! THINGS! TO! TALK! ABOUT!

One of those things are moving along at a good click so we should probably talk about it!  Parker has been in a music program with a phenomenal teacher since he was 12 months old.  He loves Miss Patti, I love Miss Patti, everyone loves Miss Patti.  And, because of that, we've done her music class one day a week for the last 3 years.  Sadly, this is our last semester with Miss Patti and I'm crushed.  I really like Miss Patti!  So, of course, because she's been such a part of our lives for the last 3 years, I thought it would be nice to make her a pair of music mittens.

I had originally wanted to design a pair, but time was less supportive of that idea, and I decided to MODIFY an exsisting pattern to make it a little more personal.  The earliest "favorite song" Parker had in his music class was "Baa Baa Black Sheep".  Before he was really even talking he'd request, (DEMAND) to be sung "Baa Baa", "Baa Baa".  We'd walk into Miss Patti's class, look her dead in the eyes and say "BAA BAA"- as if to say "we better be singing that song lady!"  And Miss Patti would totally oblige Parker.

UntitledUntitled

And so- I modified the pattern to have a cuff with the music to Baa Baa Black Sheep.

Untitled Untitled

It required a little graphing, and perfecting, but I think it turned out pretty great.  Now, I'm well into mitten one and hope to have it off the needles and #2 cast on this week.  (Dream big!)  I'm mildly concerned about length with this mitten (length of the hand) so we'll see how we end up.

Miss Patty's mittens need to be done by early June when it's our last class- so I'm hoping to have them well ahead of that in mid May.

Next up on the needles, freshly cast on is the baby blanket for the baby due in early June.  Since it's for a colleague in his office, husband helped pick out the pattern, and of course, he picked out something more complicated.

Untitled

It's "Morse Stitch", a unique way of creating a bobble.  So far the pattern is quite interesting and I think it's going to knit up lovely.

Untitled

I even bought yarn (GASP) for this yarn because I wanted the right "color" and softness.  And so, Debbie Bliss "Baby Cashmerino" joined my collection and so far I quite like knitting with it!

Once the first section of the blanket is done (and it looks like after some serious blocking), you pick up and knit a hefty border.  I'm a little nervous about that, but I've been finding that getting out of my comfort zone has worked out great this year so far, so I'm hoping to continue on the momentum of it.

And that, lovely reader, is what you're going to be seeing and hearing a lot of in May.  Back to knitting!

No comments: