It has been since I last bought yarn!

Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Fighting with Faire Isle

So... I was into the mitts.

Really into the mitts. Like only knitting the mitts... staying up late past my bed time because I just wanted to get one more row done. And yes I made progress- but that little voice in the back of my head kept saying "just try it on". I hate that voice.

Houston- we have some gauge issues. It turns out I must be stressed, because these are knit at a gauge so tight they practically cut my circulation off to my wrists! And so- because I want to actually wear these without causing damage to my circulatory system, I did the only thing I could do. (Sensitive knitters look away...)

I ripped them out. Every last, pretty little stitch. Right back down to the beginning.

And then I just felt a little disheartened. I stepped away from the mitts. I stepped away from the needles. (I may have stepped towards the wine to console myself.)

I knit hats instead.

Hats don't fail me. Ever. I can just knit hats and let my brain wonder and the hats will always look right. Yay for hats!

But then... something wonderful happened... (Wollmeise sock club members look away if you don't want spoilers)

I got my half of the wollmeise sock yarn. It is gorgeous. GOR-GE-OUS. I keep fondling it and daydreaming about all the pretty differnt socks I can make with it. The color is regal. I need a regal pattern. Got any suggestions?

So- with the yarn in hand, and inspiration swirling around in little clouds of knitterly joy- I did the only thing I could do...

I picked up the Snowbird mitts and decided to try it again. I can do this. (Just on bigger needles...) Cross your fingers that I'll have some success this time.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

When I typed "Regal Socks" into the Ravelry search I came up with Regal Afghan Slippers. Which, although slippers could be regal, I don't really think this is what you had in mind! Funny however...
Anne

Anonymous said...

Froging sucks, but I guess not being able to wear them would be sucky too.

I have set a personal record for frogging one item .... 3 times (cast on 4 times)! MIL

madonnaearth said...

Oh man; I feel you on the frogging. I have had to frog some items more than 3 tims, and parts of some socks about 8 times apiece.

I'm glad you got back to it and I wish you the best of luck on the mittens. What you had was so gorgeous! Good for you for keepign those hats goign!